Full Time, Fixed Term
Research Assistant – Summer Placement
About Historic England
Historic England are committed to providing qualitative short-term 8-week emerging talent
programme placements to young people aged 18-30 years. These placements are split across three strands linked to three priority audiences identified in the IDE Strategy and are to be offered to:
- People with Black, Asian or other Minority Ethnic Heritage.
- People with disabilities
- People who are disadvantaged by their social and/or economic background or circumstances, or by where they live.
The main objectives for this scheme are:
- To provide safe and quantitative work experience to young people.
- To provide supportive training and skills development for young people, enabling them to develop workplace skills.
- To maintain Historic England’s core missions and values
- To aid in the future resilience, interest and encouragement of young people to the sector.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Help with the work of the Listing Team in Historic England’s Bristol office by looking at the High Street Banks of the south west region and thinking about their importance so we can decide if any of them need to be formerly protected through listing.
- Gathering of existing information relating to this building type, through desk based research, but may also involve site visits.
- Develop your understanding of historic buildings and how we assess them for listing.
- Enriching the List with photos and documents.
- Travel with Advisers on site visits to assess buildings and sites for national designation. (Own transport and driving license is NOT ESSENTIAL. The site visits are optional and are designed to enhance the placement offer.)
Skills and Experience:
- You’re a good communicator who enjoys actively listening and questioning where necessary
- You show an interest in new things and love to learn
- You love discovering new things and developing yourself
- You are hardworking and always strive for the highest quality of work
What’s in it for you?
- On the job training provided
- Optional site visits
- Role: Research Assistant
- Salary: £393 training bursary per week
- Contract: Full time, Fixed term
- Hours: Full time, Monday – Friday for 8 weeks
- Location: Hybrid working
You must be registered with Babbasa to apply for this role. Babbasa is a Youth Empowerment Organisation who supports diverse young people to improve their wellbeing, develop new skills, become role models, and start their dream careers.
If you are already registered with Babbasa and want to apply, please contact our Recruitment Lead Mikhaila for an application form at email@example.com.
If you are not registered with Babbasa but identify with the above, please sign up here and someone will be in touch to get you registered and support you with applying for this role.
The deadline for applications is 16th June 2023.